[Amps] power limiting in 8410 amps?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] power limiting in 8410 amps?
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2018 10:25:33 -0700
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2018 18:35:30 +0000 (UTC)
From: Russ Williams <hrd998cc@yahoo.com>
To: Amps@contesting.com, Steve Bookout <steve@nr4m.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] power limiting in 8410 amps?

< Steve.? I would thrilled to get 1200 watts out of my L4B with 40 watts drive
.

<Russ KW6T

##   40 watts to drive an L4B to  1200 watts.... not gonna happen anytime soon,
not with
2500 vdc under load..and  800 ma plate current.   I get 1290w pep out of my  4
x L4Bs
on 80m, with calibrated watt meters..and abt  100w pep  drive.

## The best you can do with the L4B, is to toss the grid chokes and grid
caps..and directly bond
the 3 x grid pins to the chassis.   Then install  10 x 1N5408 diodes  in
series...for bias.   Drakes  scheme
of   operating the pair of  3-500Zs  with no bias..and  220-230 ma of idle
current is  fubar..ditto with
the pair of  50 watt, 50 k bleeders  in the outboard  L4PS   B+  supply..not
required.   Drakes scheme
of using +  130 vdc  for cut off bias on RX is more fubar.... a  50 k ohm  @  3
watt  mof is ample for that
job,  just rewire  the  center pole of the  3PDT  TR relay to shunt out the  50
K on TX.

Then the L4PS runs stone cold.   With grids bonded directly to chassis, the amp
is easier to drive, typ
20-25 watts  LESS drive required..... but some of that gets negated by adding
the 7 vdc of bias.

Jim   VE7RF