Re: [Amps] PowerGenius XL - Others

To: Paul Christensen <w9ac@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] PowerGenius XL - Others
From: BJ <fxb1982@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2017 18:03:43 +0000
I recently acquired an Acom 600s.  According to the manufacturer it is an LDMOS
amp.  Albeit not legal limit, it is continuous duty capable @ 600 watts RTTY.
I've run mine at 600 watts RTTY into a dummy load for 10 minutes or so.  It
does not seem to flinch at that and the multiple speed fan system is certainly
not objectionable to me.  The amp is barely larger than an ATR-30 tuner, weighs
25 lbs, is auto band switching, can be remotely controlled, and seems to be of
high build quality.

Acom has a 1200s coming when approved by the FCC.  Again not legal limit but
close.  It isn't much larger than the 600s.  Once on the market, it will be in
line to replace my AL-80A.

Amps like this will put tubes on the back burner for me.  Kind of bittersweet
but I think the way of the future.

73, k0cwo