Re: [Amps] Plate transformer

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Plate transformer
From: Bryan Swadener via Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2016 17:34:26 +0000 (UTC)
Jeff,
I started with a FREE E-I core split-bobbin xfmr from
a scrapped medical equipment power supply. It had
several LV secondaries. After identifying the primary
windings, it was a simple matter of putting a new
secondary on it.

I spent about $100 on 10# of 18 AWG polyimide
(Kapton) coated wire and sheets of NMN333 paper.
Manfred XQ6FOD has helpful info on his website about
practical rewinding. I wound-up with a transformer that
can do 1180 to 1440V @ 3A in four taps (3338 to 4073
VDC @ 1.5A in a doubler). Worst-case load current
is 785 mA.
See the email I sent off-list yesterday.

Bryan WA7PRC