Re: [Amps] Idiosyncratic opinion on amp choices

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Idiosyncratic opinion on amp choices
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2016 23:03:57 -0800
The Ten Tec Titan is getting a bit long in the tooth, but it's a good design, built with good components, and except for special stuff like band switches and the power transformer, almost everything in it is easy to find replacements for. It's not automatic anything, but it's happy working into almost any antenna that isn't broken and the signal it puts out is as clean as what you drive it with.

The little Elecraft KPA500 is very nice, also clean, but it needs to see a matched load, and it's heavy. I like it for portable setups, like county expeditions for state QSO parties.

The ACOM 1010 is easy enough to tune, but it isn't as clean as I would like. I sold the one I had.

73, Jim K9YC