[Amps] More 9500 tips

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>, "brad@rfconcepts.com" <brad@rfconcepts.com>, Martin Sole <msole@loxinfo.co.th>, "bolingce@gmail.com" <bolingce@gmail.com>, "lrrbst@yahoo.com" <lrrbst@yahoo.com>, "k4vud@hotmail.com" <k4vud@hotmail.com>
Subject: [Amps] More 9500 tips
From: Charles Harpole <k4vud@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 06:44:45 +0000
I reported earlier here about the over drive protection being a resistor in the
9500.

Now, I have realized how my amp got over-drive condx often enough to burn out
the resistor....
My 9500 can not reliably remember the combination of band, band segment, and
which antenna and thus, seemingly at random, when I change bands and key down,
the amp switches to the wrong antenna and a huge blast of RF output is seen on
the meters.

Earlier, when I thought my 9500 switching is ok, I just changed bands and
started sending only then to look at it and see it faulted to Standby.  Testing
showed many cases of huge RF output, all the red lights, when the amp disobeyed
my programming of band/antenna position and went wild for a second prior to
going to Standby automatically.  I just can not seem to make the amp follow my
programming of band/antenna socket......... even on Default position.  This
happens with 50 w or less watts of drive from the exciter.  There is an
associated problem which I will report later.

Any wisdom on this matter will be appreciated.  73

Charles Harpole
k4vud@hotmail.com