Re: [Amps] Re Direct rectification of AC mains to derive the amp, VDD, s

To: <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Re Direct rectification of AC mains to derive the amp, VDD, supply
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 11:33:54 -0400
So how do you filter out the harmonics?

Carl
KM1H

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
To: <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2013 2:41 AM

On 9/19/2013 1:52 PM, Bill Turner wrote:
Just one question: What is the voltage relationship between neutral and each
side of the 240 V lines?

In North America, single-phase 240V is fed by a center-tapped transformer, where you get 240V end to end, and 120 V from either end to the neutral, which is connected to the center tap. In a breaker panel that has 240V single phase, half of the 120V breakers are fed from one end of the transformer, and half from the other. Load that need 240V get only the two phase lines (the two ends of the transformer).

As Peter Voelpel notes, much of EU, especially those countries whose infrastructure was heavily destroyed in WWII, have settled on 3-phase to many (most?) customers. That's harder in counties that have not suffered that destruction -- there's so much legacy system there, and it's nearly all single phase.

What DOES happen a lot in the US, both in mixed residential and light industrial districts of cities and even out here in the Santa Cruz Mountains, is a bastard system called "high leg Delta," where the basic distribution is 240V Delta, but with one side of the Delta having a center-tapped secondary. The center tapped side feeds the 240V single-phase customers, all three phases feed those larger users who need it. The MAJOR downside of high-leg is that all of the harmonic current goes to ground via the neutral fed to single-phase customers, so we suffer from a TON of buzz (triplen harmonics of 60 Hz -- 180 Hz, 360, 540, 720, etc. I've measured an amp or more of this harmonic current in both here in the mountains and in Chicago.

There's a discussion of this in the tutorial I referenced.

73, Jim K9YC