Re: [Amps] MFJ products

To: "Pete Smith N4ZR" <n4zr@contesting.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] MFJ products
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 08:51:54 -0400
My 259B has been back 3 times and now they tell me it cant be updated to the latest software since its too old. They never said anything about that or even updated in the past when I have to guess it could still be done. Dont expect any intelligent answers from them either, they sound like programmed robots.

I wonder if they offer trade ins.

MFJ tuners have had incremental improvements since the days when one caught fire during the ARRL test. I wonder who the moron was that allowed a Delrin form to be used for the rotary inductor on a 1500W tuner?

Its no wonder that even the ancient Johnson tuners still bring high prices even with their limited matching ranges.

I dont use tuners, its easier to modify an amp to load a particular antenna unless you have one of those overpriced fancy ones with a CPU inside. About 25 years ago I decided to build a Hi C tuner that could cover all of 160 and 80. Since there were no 500pf bread slicers available with sufficient spacing (and I didnt want to waste a couple of good vacuums for such limited use) I built my own from several old ones by machining new shafts and spacers to give me ~ 6000V spacing. The rotary inductor was military surplus with edge wound wire.

It never arced even when testing some big amps back when I was still building them to order. It is still here up on a shelf waiting for something.....

Carl
KM1H

----- Original Message ----- From: "Pete Smith N4ZR" <n4zr@contesting.com>