Re: [Amps] Amplified TV Antenna

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amplified TV Antenna
From: W2XJ <w2xj@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2012 22:07:11 -0400
The statement regarding WBBM is not really correct and is typical of why
we should be cautious when reading things on the Internet and taking the
information as fact.

 From the mouths of my corporate CBS colleagues at the time, WBBM was a
science project. It would have been conducted in New York at WCBS except
that there was a nearby channel 3 analog. The problem at the time was
that there was an awesome responsibility on the shoulders of corporate
engineering staff over giving up legacy low band channels for UHF and
potentially hurting the brand or sticking with the legacy channels. WBBM
DT was originally on CH-3 and WCBS DT was on CH 56 as a transition
channel. Many measurements were made along with other tests. The WBBM
experiment was not a train wreck it was a very necessary experiment.

What is closer to being a train wreck was when ABC hired, at great cost,
a consultant who advised them to keep their original VHF channels. The
result was emergency plea to the FCC to increase power on channel 7 and
a real train wreck in Philadelphia on CH 6.

ABC=paying too much to consultants for bad info while CBS=intelligent
science based on real world measurements and research from in house
engineers.