Re: [Amps] 6kW Coax

To: David Shapiro <info@transmittersrus.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 6kW Coax
From: Mike Tubby <mike@tubby.org>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 09:06:55 +0000
Dave,

Some thoughts:

1. your design really should be a full Wilkinson combiner, the output of
each LPF should have a 100R across to the output of the other LPF so
that you have circa 30dB of isolation between the transmitters -
consider what happens if of half fails

2. you "coax 70-75 ohms" needs to be 70.71 ohms of the system is matched
to 50R with a decent return loss

3. at the power levels you're aiming for any loss of very important...
recall that 0.1dB loss is 11% and at your power levels that's a lot of heat

4. if you really do need to use a final combiner made from coax at this
power level then, as pointed out by others, you're looking for 7/8ths or
bigger

5. alternatives for your application that are worth considering are:

     a) a six port Gysel combiner (rather than the two three port ones
you have now)

     b) a further two port Gysel combiner cascaded after your LPFs

     c) a Rat Race combiner which has some advantages:

         * doubles up on the coax (you can use a slightly smaller coax)
         * provides isolation between the two transmitters
         * can be built using 75R coax (lengths 0.25, 0.25, 0.25, 0.75)
or 50R coax (0.153, 0.153, 0.153, 0.653)

     using 50R coax you might have success with LDF7-50A

Personally, if I was attempting this project I would tend towards the
KISS approach - you would probably get as much overall transmitter
output from:

     5 x 2500W FM pallets -> 5-port Gysel -> single LPF

and avoid a significant amount of combining losses and system complexity.

Mike