[Amps] 811H Plate Current

To: Amps Listserve <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 811H Plate Current
From: Daniel Hileman <n9wx@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 02:40:00 +0000
Hi All

I just purchased an AL-811H. I dont have a way of keying it just yet, but
wanted to turn it on and look at the plate voltage, etc. The unkeyed (Standby)
plate voltage is about 1700, which I believe is about right...but, when I flip
the meter to (lp) Plate Current, it shows around 120+/- mA...is this right,or
should it be ZERO unkeyed? It doesnt sound keyed, and sounds ok...BUT, here's
what sets off the bells, it seems VERY hot on the top of the case with it
sitting in standby for about 10 min...I used to own an 811H and dont remember
it running that hot, but maybe I never felt the top. Now, that being said, the
tubes may not be good, and the gentleman told me that, and I got the amp at an
awesome price, and he said if it was broken he would make it right, so not
worried about that, just want to know if it sounds normal. Also, would bad
tubes make it get hot like that?

Thanks and 73,
Daniel N9WX