Re: [Amps] B- questions

To: km1h@jeremy.mv.com, dezrat1242@yahoo.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] B- questions
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 11:46:44 EST
Some rough ballpark numbers: If there is a 25 ohm glitch resistor and an
instantaneous short from B+ to ground, there could be a maximum current of
3000/25 or 120 amps. If the meter circuit was 1 ohm, then a pulse of 120vdc
would appear across it. The length of the pulse depends on the amount of
capacitance in the power supply filter circuit and how long it takes a fuse or
 breaker to interrupt the AC supply.

Most relays need 8 to 20 milliseconds to operate. Would a 1A meter be
damaged by a 120v spike for a few milliseconds? I don't know but maybe someone
here knows.

The reverse connected diodes would absorb this energy and hold the voltage
to maybe 1v or so until the surge rating of the diode is reached and then
it  would fail shorted, providing further meter protection.

Perhaps a really hefty diode would withstand this kind of abuse but I
wonder about how quickly it would begin conduction considering the high
capacitance of the junction.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 11/9/2009 9:59:03 A.M. Central Standard Time,