Re: [Amps] TL922 Power Plugs

To: "'Alex Eban'" <alexeban@gmail.com>, <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] TL922 Power Plugs
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 11:15:13 -0600
Actually the reason to ground the neutral somewhere in the system is to
ensure that there is no potential difference between earth and neutral in
this type of system. Once the neutral is grounded, as it is at the power
company pole, you want to maintain that ground throughout the system. If the
neutral is allowed to rise above ground anywhere it presents a shock hazard.

The reason for having separate ground and neutral wires after your main
panel is to ensure that the ground wire does not rise above ground by
carrying any current.

The ground wire is there to carry fault current to trip the circuit breaker
in the event that the hot wire should short to the chassis of equipment
being powered.

A ground wire is NOT required for a ground fault interrupter to properly
operate. It operates only on the differential current between hot and
neutral.

Actually a safer system would be if the neutral was not grounded anywhere
and ground fault interrupters were used on all circuits. Then it would not
matter if hot or neutral happened to come in contact with the chassis. But
this can't be done in the US as the power company has chosen to ground the
neutral at many places in the system.

73
Gary  K4FMX