[Amps] Is there a Henry model which ...

To: Amps Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Is there a Henry model which ...
From: chas <chasm@texas.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 18:29:22 -0600
My Apologies to the list -  when you get in a hurry or get distracted,
it is best sometimes to just save the message and come back later.  I
had meant to change the subject line as a new topic, though related.
again, please forgive me.
chas, k5dam

Roger sub1@rogerhalstead.com wrote:
> If you haven't done one before, most conversions are likely to offer a
> surprise or two and remember the Henry amps had little or not protection
> circuitry that you find in todays amps.
>
> Were it me, and it's not, unless going for a major project I'd most
> likely leave it as is which is what I did with my 2K4.

I was somewhat interested in the Henry model being discussed and did
some mad-minute googling and even called Terry (KI7M) and talked with
him for a few minutes about it.  However, isfa I can see, the Henry
2K4 offers nothing that my modded SB-220 cannot do as well or better
in that it also seems to be restricted to ham bands.

Rather...
What I was hoping for, was a continuously tunable 2-30mcy amp as the
220 is not... it being limited to whatever the slugs are tuned to.
I would prefer to avoid Solid State as these FETs, etc are quite
delicate it seems.  A full, wideband amp running on 2 or 3 3-500Zs
would be SWEET! <G>  Obviously I do not want it for Ham but for MARS
use instead.

I know that Henry made amps for the State Dept/DOD which were
completely  tunable from about 1.8 to 30mcy+ or, even wider than that.
I just don't know which model(s) they were and how available they were
when those users went to secure satellite or whatever they are now using.

Does anyone know of model numbers for those Commercial (non Amateur)
amps???  or, anyone who would know that information?

thanks
73 de chas, k5dam