Re: [Amps] Amps comparison

To: Carl <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>, k7rx@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amps comparison
From: "Rob Atkinson" <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 21:56:37 -0600
On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 7:17 PM, Carl <km1h@jeremy.mv.com> wrote:
> If I had a choice between an AL-80A or B and a TL-922 its a no brainer and
> the TL-922 wins hands down.
>
> Beating a single 3-500Z with 100W and bragging about getting 800-1000W
> (typical on the air comments) is a sign of a totally non technical owner.

Although Ameritron says the customer can achieve 1 kw output from an
AL80B, I don't think anyone here recommended doing that.  In fact, it
appears that 800 w., which I previously thought was reasonable, is
excessive.

> Having to adjust the exciter power on every band for 65-70W of drive for
> sane operation is an annoyance I wouldnt want either.

I just went back and looked at the Ameritron specs for the 80b.  They
say the p.s. gives 2.7 kv under load.  Assuming 400 ma plate current
and 70% efficiency (all maxed out and optimal condx) I get 756 watts
out.  Which means the amp should really be run at ~650 watts.   Off
hand I don't know how much drive is needed for that but surely it is
much less than 100 w., I'm guessing 50 - 60?  Which also means the
fellow who said he had a problem getting, I think it was 500 to 700
watts out of his, doesn't really have a problem after all.   In
addition, this explains why some AL80B owners have to replace the
3-500 every few years, something that had previously puzzled me.

I also mistakenly thought the 922 did not include 160 m.  I rechecked
that and found out that it does.  In light of all this I must admit
that the 922 is the better choice for the money used.  I think one in
good shape can be had for around $900.  google TL-922 for websites
detailing mods for the 922.

73,

rob / k5uj