Re: [Amps] Amps comparison

To: "Rob Atkinson" <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amps comparison
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 20:17:11 -0500
If I had a choice between an AL-80A or B and a TL-922 its a no brainer
and the TL-922 wins hands down.

Beating a single 3-500Z with 100W and bragging about getting 800-1000W
(typical on the air comments) is a sign of a totally non technical
owner. Having to adjust the exciter power on every band for 65-70W of
drive for sane operation is an annoyance I wouldnt want either.

The TL-922, Centurion, LK-500's, and SB-220 are all PS limited and
running a pair of 3-500Z's at 1100-1200W with 100W drive pretty much
guarantees long tube life. Ive had my LK-500ZC since 1988, its been
worked hard in contests and DX chasing and the original tubes are still
putting out 1200W.

Ive had literally hundreds of SB-220's in here for 6M conversion and the
great majority still have the original tubes doing a fine job. I cant
say that about AL-80's or other single tube clones.

Carl
KM1H