Re: [Amps] Amp Comparison Advice Please

To: "Roger" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amp Comparison Advice Please
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 10:11:37 -0500
OK, I'll jump in Roger.

The L needs some serious help IMO to be a serios daily driver these
days. USA made 572B's have been gone since the early 90's and Ebay has
driven the prices way up.

The L was never fully neutralized so it smokes the parasitic suppressors
on 15 and above, besides the carbon resistors have gone way up in value
anyway. The problem becomes much worse with Chinese tubes.

Ive designed new suppressors that use 5W MOX resistors with some C to
compensate for the XL. A PC board will be available soon.

For 12M you have to remove 3-4 turns from the top of the plate choke.

160M needs several changes to get full efficiency at 100W drive. New
filament choke, plate choke bypass, incresed loading C at the minimum.
Plus a real glitch resistor.

There is not much that can be done about the steel cover almost touching
the tank coil unless you fabricate an aluminum one. That cover really
screws things up.

Change the PS filters to much bigger values will help the regulation. I
use 330 uF CD 381LX series at a minimum.

Properly set up you can expect 1200-1300W on all bands with 100W drive.
I dont know what the xfmr overhead is if you crank up the drive to 150+
W.

As a 6M monobander they do fine with 2 tubes at 700-800W.

Later models had a tuned input network and an added switch section. An
outboard unit is the only option today and two or so universal models
are available.

IMO the L is a $400-500 amp with perfect tubes but it seems that all the
new nocoders have driven the prices up to new levels. As with most older
desktop amps.

A Dentron sleeper is often the DTR-2000L, especially with a missing or
bad 8877. Add grid protection, and a few other mods plus a 3CPX1500A7
medical pull and you have a reliable 1500W. Ive done many for 6M, add a
big outboard xfmr plus added filters and its a serious EME player.

Carl
KM1H