Re: [Amps] Amp Comparison Advice Please

Subject: Re: [Amps] Amp Comparison Advice Please
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 01:40:13 -0500

Kevin Nathan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Several of you sent me manuals for the Kenwood TL-922 last night and today
> for which I am grateful.  I have the opportunity to pick one of these up for
> a good price in excellent condition.
>
> I also have the opportunity, if I wish, to pick up a Dentron Clipperton L
> for less money.  In looking at ratings on these on Eham, they are rated at
> the same point on the scale of 5.

I'm going to have to disagree with Mike on a couple of points.
First, I've had and used about everything Dentron sold. The Cliperton is
a nice little amp, but I don't consider it to be half the amp the 922 is.

If a rig is for sale at less money than another rig, there are only
about three good reasons for that.  The guy needs the money bad, there
is a problem with it, or they go for less money because they are worth less.

Having said that, I wouldn't hesitate to use the Cliperton L and I never
noticed drive or low output being a problem and I used mine on
everything from 160 through 10 with no mods and drove them with about
everything out there.  I found the voltage regulation to be a bit weak
so when tuning I always used the CW/Tune position and then switched to
SSB for full power. I ran the things near full rated output for many
hours and had no problems and I squeezed every watt out I could get.
Back then the rigs were cheap, the tubes were cheap, and I beat the snot
out of them.   I did repair a few Clipertons for other hams that had the
dielectric in the coax to the TR relay melt with the result the coax
shorted. I never ran into that problem on my setup.  The only ones that
ever got really hot was the little sweep tube amp, the GLA1000.  That's
not to say the compact Cliperton with 4 glass tubes didn't put out a lot
of heat as it did and you might not want to lay your bare arm on the
cabinet over the tubes after operating for a while<:-))

I loaned these things out on a regular basis, so many of their hours
were put on by many hams who only had a basic introduction to tunning
them.  I did demonstrate tuning them and then have them show me they
could really do it before letting the amps out the door.    Some times
I'd make up a wiring harness to their rigs for FD and some times they
had something that would work. It was after all a simple hook up.  Few
used ALC.  All were run on 220 except for the GLA1000. No, I didn't loan
my Collins amp or the Hallicrafters HT-33B<:-))

They were popular due to being compact, light weight, and relatively
inexpensive.

If he catches this thread, Carl can give you a good evaluation of the
Cliperton as he converts them for 6 IIRC and I think he is also familiar
with the 922.
> Would those of you who know these two amps please give me your thoughts
> regarding pros and cons and which you might choose.  One obvious selling
> point for me is that the local ham offering the Clipperton L promises me
> assistance if I need it if anything does go wrong and since I am blind, this

The Cliperton is light weight, simple, and uses relatively inexpensive
tubes even today.

My own choice "If I had the money" would be the 922, more than likely
there are others who would choose the Cliperton.

73 and good luck,

Roger (K8RI)