[Amps] amp repair/modification

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] amp repair/modification
From: kg7hf@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 17:26:50 +0000
Hi everyone,

Speaking of homebrew & repair, I have a general question I would like to throw
out to the group.

I have a junker HF amp (160 - 10m) which use a pair of 3-500z tubes (g-g
obviously), the tubes are gone, the plate transformer is gone, a few caps in
the HV filter bank are gone, there isn't much left but the bare RF deck,
meters, band switching, load and tune caps, and filament transformer.

Now, I have a new blower, 3cx800a7, filament transformer and plate transformer
which would work with the 3cx800.

Besides the obvious mechanical/airflow changes, what other sorts of changes
might be involved to putting the 3cx800 in place of the 3-500s?   The new
filament and plate transformer would have the correct voltage for the 3cx800.
at a minimum, I suppose I would need some sort of warmup timer for the HV.
The input and output impedances wouldn't be the same I'm sure?

Is it basically a basket case idea and I should rip it all apart and start from
scratch, or could many of the components be re/used in place?

Thanks in advance for the comments.

73,
Paul, KG7HF