Re: [Amps] operating a transformer in oil

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] operating a transformer in oil
From: David G4FTC <g4ftc@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 17:49:51 +0000
> Has anyone tried extending the power capability by placing one in oil? Im
> aware of the flux density, core size and all that but just curious how much
> leeway there is.
> > Right now Im contemplating 500W of AB2 out of a 300W CCS modulation xfmr. It
> is not potted and the end bells are removable.
>
> Only a scope will tell me when Ive exceeded the saturation limit

The flux density is set by the excitation voltage and not load current - if you
are running the transformer from the correct supply voltage, the flux density
will be OK.

What you will get is increased I^2*R losses in the windings due to the higher
load current - this will result in increased temperatures and it is this which
can ruin the transformer.

73s

David