Re: [Amps] SB-200 circuit breakers

To: Tom Osborne <w7why@verizon.net>, Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB-200 circuit breakers
From: rgroh@swbell.net
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 16:07:20 -0700 (PDT)
The breakers are thermally activated - the heat being generated by the current
passing through the mechanism. The trip time is related to the current AND the
time - with a big current, the breaker will trip quickly. With a lower current
it will take longer. With a 'right on the edge' current it can take 10's of
minutes.

What you describe is quite consistent with one of the breakers getting a little
'soft' with age so the current trip point has drifted down. Actually these type
of breakers do tend to degrade (usually the current threshold decreases) as
they get older and you probably should just go ahead and replace them both with
new ones.

If you are interested in more details, do a little prowling on the internet via
a search for 'thermal circuit breaker' or something like that. The
manufacturers have some good web sites and you can look at their data sheets:
for example:
http://www.e-t-a.com/us_circuit_breakers.html
http://circuit-breakers.carlingtech.com/index.asp

Plus a bunch more. You will find curves that relate the amount of time it takes
for the breaker to 'break' versus the current. Pretty interesting stuff (for an
engineer!).

73
Bob Groh, WA2CKY