Re: [Amps] Arc distance and plasma

To: wlfuqu00@uky.edu, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Arc distance and plasma
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 12:15:12 -0400
Bill,

I'd say that was gassy, hi hi! I'll bet it would have lit up if plate voltage
had been on it. On receiving tubes, and sweep tubes, when they've lost their
evacuation generally from a crack in the glass at a pin, they will actually
light up all over the place. You can quickly tell one of these as the getter
flash on the glass has turned white. The color of the light is violet to white.
I guess what I've seen would have been gas pockets or something as these
ionizations of gas happened in different places all inside the envelope. I
actually let one of these run one time for a while just to watch it. Luckily,
it didn't ruin the B+ supply. Less gassy tubes of course have a violet colored
glow inside the anode. This is visable through holes in the anode where you can
see inside. The smaller receiving tubes will have a glow also, but may be a
little harder to see due to their size.

Best,

Will