Re: [Amps] "Tubes 201" - How Vacuum Tubes Really Work

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] "Tubes 201" - How Vacuum Tubes Really Work
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 01:57:05 -0400
Peter,

I don't think he said they absolutely couldn't happen. What I've read about
this was that the most vacuum that can be pulled is around 10 atmospheres.
Also, the innards and glass are baked to get rid of what gas they can before
they are evacuated and sealed. The problem is that after a while, from the
anode getting hot, some gas may still get loose in the tube to where enough can
cause a flash-over. The flash-over generally takes care of the small amount of
gas itself and the tube operates normally again after power is re-applied.
There's a difference though between a quick "flash-over" arc and one from a
badly gassy tube. A gassy tubes arc can be a long one with a large plasma
stream, and can last for some time (until the caps are discharged or something
opens up). It can be very destructive. Cathode to anode arcs are not uncommon
with a very gassy tube. These types of arcs can and do knock out the B+ power
supply. That's my opinion on this, and I think what was meant.

Best,

Will