Re: [Amps] LK-500 problem

To: Jeff Strailey <liveccam@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] LK-500 problem
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 08:04:41 -0400
On May 28, 2006, at 11:20 PM, Jeff Strailey wrote:

> When the amp is powered plate voltage as measured by the internal
> meter is about 1500 volts instead of the 3100-3300 vdc one would
> expect.  I've attempted no troubleshooting whatsoever as of yet but
> wonder what could be going on?  One or more electrolytics or diodes
> bad in the power supply?  Obviously I will need to examine the
> power supply but am just wondering if anyone has seen something
> like this before in this or a similiar product?

I bought an AL-80A last year from an estate and had a similar problem
- HV read about 2200 volts instead of nearly 3000.

The advice I received was that the HV power supply is pretty dead-
simple, and it either produced the rated voltage, or failed
catastrophically.

My problem turned out to be a 1.5 M ohm resistor in the metering
chain that had changed to over 2.2 M ohms. I replaced it with two 750
K ohm 1% resistors in series.

So, the first thing to check is that the instrumentation of the amp
is correct. Be EXTREMELY careful, as lethal voltages exist in the
amp. Good luck.

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901