Re: [Amps] Xmtr output impedance?

To: <StephenTetorka@cs.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Xmtr output impedance?
From: Karl-Arne Markström <sm0aom@telia.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 17:53:47 +0200
Hello,

First a few assumptions:

(1) The 2 x 1625's are in push-pull and operate in "class C"

(2) The capacitance values quoted are across the whole plate coils

Center linked coils of the B&W JVL variety were originally intended for
balanced transmission lines with an impedance
of a "few" hundred ohms, but will work connected to coaxial lines.

As the coupling is variable, it only takes to first swing the link all the way
out of the
plate coils, dip the plate, then carefully meshing the link more and more with
the coil and
readjusting the plate tuning until the rated plate current flows and/or the RF
output goes through
a maximum. In order not to damage the 1625's, it is advisable to keep the
key-down periods short (< 5 s or so)
until proper resonance and loading has been found.

RF output could be monitored with an SWR meter, or to be really traditional,
with a thermocouple ammeter or a
flashlight bulb connected across a short piece of the centre conductor of the
coaxial line.

Adjusting a transmitter in this fashion has almost become a lost art since the
introduction of the pi-network,
and as usual, the precautions of keeping the fingers away from exposed plate
voltage apply.

73/

Karl-Arne
SM0AOM