Re: [Amps] Metric system

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Metric system
From: Bob Nielsen <nielsen@oz.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 11:57:47 -0700
On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 02:38:53PM -0400, David C. Hallam wrote:
> I don't think there was ever any mandatory requirement that the change be
> affected.  Probably US industry and business made a informal or maybe in
> some cases a formal analysis and decided it just wasn't worth it.

I recall back in the late 1970s Hughes Aircraft bid on some military
programs which required all drawings to be metric.  The government later
dropped that requirement.

> I distinctly remember the CA highway signs sporting Miles and Kms when I
> lived in San Jose in the late eighties, local radio and TV stations also
> gave temperatures in both Fahrenheit and Celcius. Visiting CA 10 years later
> on business trips, there no Metric signs anywhere to be seen!
> Apparently this is one example of inertia winning out over plain common
> sense - and law!

Interstate 19 between Tucson and Nogales, AZ is signed only in
kilometers, but the milepost signs on the side of the highway are in
miles.

73, Bob N7XY