Re: [Amps] Hipersil, the myth and the truth. (Updated)

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Hipersil, the myth and the truth. (Updated)
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 15:33:00 -0400
Colin,

I was thinking the same thing because here in the U.S., that goes on a bunch.
It's who can grease the politicians hand the most. The U.S. military has also
been known to buy things just because someone higher up just wanted them
whether it was for the best or not. I hesitated to say this earlier, but since
you did, might as well.

See to me, for any of the claims to hold water, they would about have to go
against the laws used in electronics where it just dont add up. There is
nothing without a loss and there are things that increase those losses. That
would completely throw out the formulas used to calculate cores I would think
in some areas. The fundamental formula to calculate either core area, turns,
voltage, etc. only include flux density, area, frequency, voltage, and using
the factor 4.44 for a sine wave, and 4.0 for a square wave. There's nothing
more to it. So having a major difference between two transformers with the same
core size, frequency, flux density, and voltage just dont add up. The same
formulas are used for gaps, and for losses no matter what the shape. These are
the same used to construct the watts per pound loss curves, and the flux
density curves. Also, tests on each material giving the BH loops, etc. done by
the steel manufacturers. Each steel has to have the exact same content
  to be classified with an AISI number too. This means the BH loop has to be
the same, no matter the shape. Plus, if using a C-core whos legs and core are
longer, and window wider than a stock EI core, the reluctance will go up
instead of down, just like adding more resistance to a series circuit. Those EI
core forms were designed for the most economical stamping without scrap, plus
the most efficiency they could squeeze out of them, and still get at least two
windings in the coil.

They were also designed so that each lamination could be interleaved to kill
off any gap. Even though an EI core can be gapped by butt stacking the lams.
Then, the C-core still has a gap no matter how well they fit them up, and gap =
reluctance, no way around it. Plus, I have several books written by
Westinghouse engineers on the subject and they all say the same thing. Thay
still have to be designed the same, with the same formulas, whether the
original formula, or the WA product which should equal each other in the end.

That's my view on it though and others may see it different.

Best,

Will