Re: [Amps] OT help

To: Roger D Johnson <n1rj@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] OT help
From: David Kirkby <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 16:52:11 +0000
Roger D Johnson wrote:

I recently tried to scan some Eimac tube datasheets for
David Kirby's website. I am using a HP OfficeJet 6110
with the supplied HP Director software which has a save
to PDF function. I found that some of the graphs in the
datasheets were "rotated" to what the program thinks is
the proper orientation. This happens when saving to PDF
and HTML formats. If I save as JPG, GIF, TIFF, etc; all
is well. I've spent several days exchanging emails with
HP tech support to no avail. I don't know where they are
located but their English is funny and they seem to be
completely unable to understand the problem. So, my
question is; does anyone know of a free or inexpensive
scanner program that will save scans as a PDF document?

Thanks and 73, Roger

Thanks Roger for trying - sorry it is causing you a hassle. TIFF files are fine.

The way I convert to PDF is as follows, but I use UNIX hardware and free software. So my methods are not typical.

If you can just get me TIFF files, I can do the work from there. Just email the TIFF files, or if they are too big I'll give you a login on a UNIX system where you can use ssh to transfer the files. You will need to use an ssh client - a nice windoze one, which is free for non-commercial use is:

http://ftp.ssh.com/pub/ssh/SSHSecureShellClient-3.2.9.exe

Anyway, this is what I do - you will have to adapt a bit for Windoze.

a) Scan - I use an Epson PErfection 1200S SCSI scanner on a Sun workstation. I use 'gimp' as software. Gimp is free. 'sane' (Scanner Access Made Easy) is used too. Sane is free (of course!!) Both Gimp and Sane are available on Windoze.

b) Take any large sections of white and put a box around that and fill it with white. This ensures the region looks good, and really is white. It makes files smaller too. Having hole punch holes does not only look too good, but it makes the files bigger.

c) Save to Postscript (.ps) format.

d) Use 'ghostscript' and the file 'ps2pdf' to convert multiple ps pages to one pdf page. (I acutally use a slightly modified version of ps2pdf, but the basic principle is the same. Ghostscript is available on Windoze too, although I use it under UNIX.

I suspect there are easier ways, but Gimp, Sane and Ghostscript are all free - commercial use included.

When I wrote my PhD thesis I wrote it in Wordperfect for DOS. I tried printing to Postscript and using the Acrobat pdf writer. But this kept failing, with numerous errors. Then I tried the free Ghostscript and managed to convert each chapter to a pdf file.

Anyway, TIFF files will do. Postscript should in principle do, but I can't make any changes in that too easily.

I think the problem with a lot of Windoze software now is it is designed to be 'idiot proof'. It tries to correct any error the user makes, but this often causes more hassle for the more intelligent user. I like software that does not make too many assumptions, and those it does make it lets me override.

--
Dr. David Kirkby, G8WRB

Please check out http://www.g8wrb.org/ of if you live in Essex http://www.southminster-branch-line.org.uk/