Re: [Amps] Vacuum relays in Dentron MLA-2500

To: "Don Knight" <n4dek@triad.rr.com>, <W8AV@aol.com>,<amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Vacuum relays in Dentron MLA-2500
From: "David A. Pruett" <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 16:52:10 -0500
Don,

Not ordinarily one to contradict by good friend W8AV, but two vacuum relays are not the whole story.

I own a MLA-2500 and have often thought about switching to vacuum relays to get away from the noise.

There are two relays in the MLA-2500:

- A DPDT relay which switches the input and output of the amp in line. This is the relay which W8AV refers to.

- A 4PDT relay which accomplishes one or two things, depending on your particular model of MLA-2500. In all of them, one set of contacts switches the cutoff bias so there is little or no idling current on standby. In some early models, another contact switches the blower from low speed on receive to high speed on transmit.

It's been my experience that the majority of the noise comes from the DPDT relay. With my amp, I replaced the 4PDT with a quiet DIP relay by mounting it to a base from another 4PDT relay and it made little difference. However, if you put vacuum relays in, I'll bet the 4PDT will become the next level of annoyance.

Most vacuum relays used by hams are 26 VDC. All of these relays have 12 VDC coils, so the relay supply in the MLA-2500 is 12 VDC. My friend N8CC ran an HC1 vacuum relay in his MLA-2500 by changing the relay supply rectifier circuit to a voltage doubler.

Vacuum relays are to be preferred from the speed and voltage handling standpoint, but many amps get by with open frame T/R relays. The SB-220, for example, while not totally quiet is a lot less annoying than the MLA-2500. It uses essentially the same relay, but mounts it to the amp chassis through a rubber grommet. This might be a viable approach to get quieter without requiring extensive re-design. Just remove the relay, drill out the mounting hole and put in a grommet which the original mounting screw can pass thru.

73,

Dave/K8CC