Re: [Amps] Maxwell oil filled capacitors?

To: "A.J Moss" <linear.amplifier@ntlworld.com>," AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Maxwell oil filled capacitors?
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 04:42:34 -0800

>Hi group,
>
>     Does anyone have any info on these units, or rather any preference as
>to which would be best used in an amp HV supply...
>
>Maxwell Cat# 30580 54uF 4.2Kv
>
>Maxwell Cat#38697 35uF 5.1Kv
>
>These I just could not resist at a local electronics 'junque' shop. One
>(30580) is labelled as being the NOS spare for a defibrilator, and is
>slightly smaller than it's lower capacitance sibling. Now I don't fancy
>making an Amateur Defibrilator, but it saves space on electrolytic strings
>in the PS case.

Defibrillator (and flash service) capacitors save space by using
thinner-foil.  They can do this because they are not subject to high
average ripple current -- i.e.,  ESR is not a consideration in the
design.  For contesting, derating to about 60% of the peak-V rating is
probably a good idea.  Also, moving air around such caps might help to
dissipate the heat caused by the increased ESR.