Re: [Amps] L-7 Failure, HV fuses

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] L-7 Failure, HV fuses
From: "Ian White, G3SEK" <G3SEK@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 07:43:19 +0000
R. Measures wrote:
Re HV fuses:

I have seen in the literature descriptions of a HV fuse made by inserting
into the B+ line,   a 30 guage Cu wire approx 2" long.  suspended between
two ceramic standoffs in the amp.  Would that function as a near
instantaneous HV fuse. protecting the tube in the event of a heavy current
HV fault?

** 2" of #30 Cu has about 0.017-ohms of R. Since the ESR of high-ripple I 450V electrolytics is c. 0.25-ohms each, in a typical 3200VDC anode supply, the peak discharge I would be 3200V / [(8 x 0.25-ohms) + 0.017-ohms] = c. 1600A-peak. IMO, this does not provide adequate protection. As I see it, HV fusing is not needed if the primary of the HV transformer is fused or circuit-breakered. What is needed is a device to limit peak discharge-I -- i.e., a sturdy-enough glitch-R; typical values of which are 10 to 30 ohms.

Totally agreed - the difference between a resistor and a fuse is that the resistor provides instantaneous current limiting. A fuse does not.

That's why the glitch resistor is the key component. You need a fuse as well, but that can be a mains fuse in the transformer primary.

A "sturdy enough" has to be capable of dissipating tens of watts in normal operation, and also capable of withstanding the full HV from end to end if a major current surge occurs. In practice this means quite a large, long-bodied resistor.

Unfortunately a resistor of this size may be difficult to fit into an amp that doesn't already have one - but do it, any way you can.