[Amps] L-4B High power

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] L-4B High power
From: aa6eg at hotmail.com (Pat Barthelow)
Date: Fri Feb 14 20:04:28 2003
Folks,

It seems  the limitation on the Drake L-4B wrt trying for 1500 watts out, is
due to the low plate voltage design chosen from times past, making the
3-500Zs less capable of maximum power out.  Raising the plate voltage makes
the 3-500zs capable of legal limits, but changes the plate impedance some.
Does the impedance change enough to require tap changes in the L-4B PI net
Coil?

Can the L-4B sustain safely high duty cycle 1300 watts out, without the
stock power supply cooking?   if cooking is likely, can that be forstalled
with continuous muffin fans cooling thru the perforated PS chassis cage?
tnx, Pat  aa6eg@hotmail.com