[Amps] Source for 220V cords

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Source for 220V cords
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 13:05:14 -0800
The reason most 220V appliances including amplifiers sold in the U.S. do not
come with an attached plug is that there is no standard for these plugs and
their mating outlets.  A "dryer plug" is normally a huge 30A+ plug with
three enormous pins and is way overkill for an amateur amplifier.  The
standard NEMA 220V 15A plug & receptacle look like an ordinary 15A 120V plug
& receptacle except one of the flat pins is turned 90 degrees.  However, the
20A+ NEMA 220V plugs & receptacles are mostly twistlock type.  Then, there
are the European, Australian and other standards which are different from
ours in the U.S.

I would think a "dryer cord" with an attached plug would be horrendously
expensive compared to simply buying the plug you need to mate with your
outlet and screwing it on.

WB2WIK/6

"Each success only buys an admission ticket to a more difficult problem." --
Henry Kissinger