[AMPS] alpha input swamp circuit

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] alpha input swamp circuit
From: nospam4me@juno.com (skipp isaham)
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 10:40:51 -0800
re: addition of a UR diode in the alpha amplifier
input "swamp" section
-
The swamp resistance value would have to be
changed.  The indicated swamp R value appears
to be similar to the average dynamic tube
impedance. Both the tube impedance and the
swamp R value in parallel equate to a convenient
toroidal xmfr secondary.  An amps member
reported to me (here) the secondary ratio is 2.25
to 1.  Those values jive with my calculator.
-
Your suggestion taken to the next step, would
be a series R & UF Diode paralleled with
the current circuit.  The R value chosen to be
similar to the tubes parallel drive impedance
value.
-
The current amplifier drive requirements well
suit the output of many common Amateur
Transceivers.  Most Amateurs will probably
over drive the amplifier with the swamp
R circuit removed or revised to provide only
half cycle loading.
-
Some of the relative gratis stability
provided by the lower existing swamp R circuit
might go away.  But it might not matter with this
ground grid layout.
-
Retaining the current layout with the addition
of the series R-D would provide positive half
-
I have measured removed ps equalizer resistors
and I believe their replacement with MOF types is
a good idea. Same type/value Comp-R's varied
as much as 30K from other in the same bank.
-
skipp
-
: From: 2 <2@vc.net>
> I finished restoring a two-hole 76A a few months ago, and
>it seems to be running fine. (nice little amp)  My question:
>
>With the original attenuator, (resistor pack) I get roughly
>650-700 watts out for 75 watts drive.  I don't really want to
>run it much harder than that, but does 75/650-700 with the
>stock pack sound about right?  I would guess so, but never
>having played with an amp so heavily "swamped" on the input
>before, it's hard to know for sure.

-
:-If I owned one, I would put an ultrafast recovery diode in
:series with swamper-R.  The diode's arrow needs to
:point toward gnd in order to provide loading on the
:positive half of the driving cycle - where the cathode
:draws virtually no current.  This config. removes the
:swamper from the burden on the exciter during the
:negative half of the driving cycle. /   Mouser carries such
:diodes. /
:- A useful mod on older Alphas is to replace the orig.,
:350v-max, unstable, carbon-comp, "equalizer" resistors
:across the 450V electrolytic capacitors with modern MOF
:resistors.   If  these capacitors have a date code prior to
:1980, they should probably be replaced.
: - For SSB service, 8874s are best tuned up with a tuning
:pulser to avoid stripping the oxide coating off of the cathode.
:[photo on p.17 in Sept., 1990 QST article, "Parasitics Revisited"]
:cheers, Jim

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.