[AMPS] Re: 230 /115 volts ????

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: 230 /115 volts ????
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 16:27:52 -0400

> I have a question regarding house voltages.
> I live in Queens, NY City.  Our 120 Volt service is about 124 Volts
> However when I check across my 240 Volt outlets I measure only about
> 215 Volts !!!
>
> Can anyone tell me what's going on??  Should I be calling Con-Ed
> Service??
>
> Thanks for any help.   73,  Ted  K2QMF

Hi Ted,

Some large multiple dwellings or older densely populated areas
have 208/120. The service is a three phase Y...using three 120 volt
transformers.

You get 120 from any legs to neutral/ground, and 208 between any
two legs.

That's largely gone now, but you may have a 120/208 service (you
won't have the last wire needed for the three-phase most likely).

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com