[AMPS] Come Clean

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Come Clean
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 14:51:31 -0400
> For my part, I agree with Tom's premonitions, but acknowledge that I have
> never put a "Pride" amplifier on a spectrum analyser.  But I do know that
> in my days in the two way radio business, I saw a lot of Pride amplifiers
> sold by CB-focused dealers, and Pride amplifiers advertised in trucker
> magazines that highlighted CB equipment.  I do not ever recall Pride doing
> an advertising campaign in a ham magazine.  Regardless of whether the
> amplifier was technically capable of 80-10 metre operation, the company's
> choice of where to market the amplifier makes their intentions rather
> clear, I think.

The Pride 4CX250B amplifier I saw used a 50 uH  anode choke on
the 80-10 meter models, and a (red colored) powered iron core -2
mix in the input transformer with a half dozen turns.

A local newcomer ham couldn't get much output with one on 80
meters, but it worked great with a CB radio. It had plenty of
"forward swing" (carrier shift) on AM.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com