[AMPS] Dollars per dB

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Dollars per dB
From: zeitler@ibm.net (zeitler@ibm.net)
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 11:11:34 -0800
>There are enough options that anyone can fit a decent signal into a
>budget, small lot, etc.

? not easily on 160.

Yes, very easily. Buy the Uni-Hat or make a copy for yourself and you are
ready to roll.

KM3G

>>The article a couple of months ago in QST made it sound like you never
>>need a PA.
>
>One of the worse examples and most biased I have ever read.

?  [chortle] but they were still accepting advertisements for amplifiers?

>Pure bozoland. When was the last time anyone has read a credible amp
article
in
>QST ?

?  Rus Healy and another staffer wrote one sometime around 1991 which
reviewed a number of currently available products.   Bruene  (?)  wrote a
good one about grounded grid amplifiers.  //  I had an interesting
conversation with the ARRL Lab tech who tested the AL1200.  He said there
was intermittent arcing in the tank which appeared to be caused by a vhf
osc.  Want to guess whether this was mentioned in the product review?  //
Does the League currently measure filament/heater potential in amplifier
product reviews?   Does the League currently measure amplifier R-T and
T-R switching times?

>73  Carl  KM1H
>Life is too Short for QRP

?  Amen, Carl.    One evening during the Summer static season on 75m, a
guy with a QRPP radio managed to break in to a ssb-vox group of about a
dozen, of which I was a member.  We picked him up.  He was roughly S9
amid 20db over S9 static bursts.  After finding out that most of us were
using over a kW, he launched into a long-winded lock to talk sermon on
the sin of running high power.  The group switched to upper sideband and
continued the previous conversation while he ranted on lower.

Rich...