[AMPS] SB-220

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB-220
From: biss@epg.nist.gov (Robert Biss)
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 09:01:35
I've been reading with great interest the SB-220 comments of the past couple
of months and decided it is time for me to throw my 2 cents worth in....

I received my first 220 kit from the factory during the Christmas to New
Years week of December 1971.....that's over 25 years ago and it is still
purring along....and on only the second set of finals....

During the summer of '84 while the amp was residing (along with my other
equipment) at the club station we took a lightning hit to the power lines.
The power surge was high enough that it arced across the power on switch (of
several pieces of equipment)....lit up the filaments and blew them to
smithereens....I do not leave anything plugged into the AC when not in use
and it is thunderstorm season...lesson learned.

The tubes were replaced and the on/off switch was replaced....I also saw the
parasitic chokes were toasted but can't say it was due to the strike...

As an operating habit....when I get ready to make my first contact on any
given day I turn the 220 on and then it stays on for however long I am in
the shack....I do not turn the power on and off with each and every QSO as
it sound like alot of people do...Hey...only 365 switch cycles per year!!!!
Also less strain on the filaments and less chance of the bottles developing
gas...

It's a lot like the light bulbs in your house...the more you turn them On
and Off the more often they blow out!!!!  Think about it....what light bulbs
blow out more frequently....bathroom or kitchen?   I'll bet on the
bathroom....

Nuff for now.....73  bob  W8ZA