Re: [TowerTalk] AFCI RFI?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] AFCI RFI?
From: John Simmons <jasimmons@pinewooddata.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 18:25:09 -0500
A local ham resumed his ham activities after a multi-year hiatus which included moving into a newly constructed house. All was fine with the arc-fault/ground fault breakers with SSB or PSK31 HF operations on all HF bands, with either a multi-band vertical or EFHW, including running 1KW. When he started using FT8, even at 25W the breakers started tripping, but only when there was a load on the associated circuit. He contacted the ARRL which put him in touch with a rep at Eaton, the breaker manufacturer. The rep said that there was an issue with the arc-fault detection circuit which has since been re-designed. Eaton supplied new breakers at no charge and the local ham installed them. Now FT8 operations, even at 750W do *NOT* cause any issues with the breakers.

The arc-fault detection circuit falsely sees the FT8 modulation as an arc condition.

-de John "Curly" NI0K in rural Debs, MN USA
Hamshack Hotline: 6100000271
https://www.qrz.com/db/NI0K