Re: [TowerTalk] AFCI RFI?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] AFCI RFI?
From: KD7JYK DM09 <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 13:45:49 -0700
"There was no RF - I wasn't on the air then - but the breakers would trip every time the laserjet printer cycled. We had to switch to an inkjet printer."

From what I heard, it was pretty typical, at least back then. Can't say for now, and at many tens of dollars each, with just about anything made in the past century doing fine, I'm not keen in trying to find out at my own expense.

If all the manufacturers want to send a pallet of every item they ever made, I'll test them, and whatever fails, set on fire, and send the failed remains back postage due- as a reminder.

I noticed it myself, turning something on/off, even turning on another breaker, with no load, on another branch, any leakage in the household, through bad wiring, individual items plugged in, even noise on the mains, all caused the AFCIs to trip within just about 1 second, line noise was random, just when you thought all was well, all other branches disconnected, bang. Off. I tore the place apart looking for bad wiring, only to find out later, the service itself was rubbish.

Chatter in the forums suggested the very issues that exist on a typical wire, are much along the lines of what the AFCI breakers look for to trip.

Other comments have been, since code calls for a certain device, and the inspectors look for a certain device, make sure it's there. Once cleared, toss it, and swap for something that doesn't cause problems. That's just word on the street, I'm not suggesting, or recommending anything.

It reminds me of the comments from some real estate agents. "Houses must have CO detectors in them when sold. Buy one, put the package on the counter, sell the house, then return the detector." Requirement met. I've actually seen/heard this repeatedly.

Anyway, maybe AFCIs work better now.  I guess, try, and find out.

Kurt