Re: Topband: OTH Radar & Orion DSP NB

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: OTH Radar & Orion DSP NB
From: Merv Schweigert <k9fd@flex.com>(by way of Bill Tippett<btippett@alum.mit.edu>)
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 12:33:46 -0500

>         I'm posting this from the Ten-Tec reflector
>since our 160m "Dragon Jammer" could be very
>similar to the OTH radar on 40m.  If anyone located
>near the Dragon QRM owns an Orion, can you tell
>us how well the software NB works on the Dragon
>Jammer?
>
>                         73,  Bill  W4ZV

I do not have an Orion, using the FT-1000D and the
blanker takes out the 40 meter Jammer on the "wide"
setting very well, unless its opened by a strong signal
then you get the "buzz" sound on the signals.
The 160 jammer is not even close comparison in
sound or type,  it has pulses but also as bad is the
"musical" tones, or growling that are spread across the band. For
some reason I could hear it very well Sat. nite
here during the contest, first time have heard it that
early,  it has been S8 here in Hawaii lsitening on the
vertical,  it covers up the Eu opening many times.
I can hear it from about 1700KHZ to over 1900KHZ.
73 Merv K9FD/KH6