Topband: Radials, etc

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Radials, etc
From: Peter Dougherty <w2irt@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 23:27:39 -0500
Hi again,

Thanks for all the replies. I had 1/2 a spool of #14 already, bought
another yesterday and will get however much more is needed to fill up
the available space with copper. As I think I mentioned, I can only
go in a quarter-circle "arc" from the base of the L (west through
North), and a bunch of small (as in 10 to 25') north through east,
and one or two very long ones beside the driveway due east.

What is probably worth noting is that the radials will be exactly the
opposite direction from the horizontal part of the L. It will run
east, over top of the house, driveway and front lawn to an 80' oak
tree and the radials will run west. Also the horizontal portion will
run up to a higher tree than the support for the vertical section
(can't run the feedline through the front yard to the taller tree,
nor do the radial thing on the front lawn).

If the tree guys work their magic as well as I hope they will, I
intend to have at least 10 or 15 radials down tomorrow, the rest over
the weekend. I've got a 40-80-160 vee up there now and I know how it
plays (for DX--horribly on RX, slightly-less-horribly on TX), so I'll
see if there's any improvement with the L. That vee will come down
and a monoband-V for 80 will go up in its place soonish.

With any luck, I'll be QRV with a better antenna by tomorrow night.
After that, here's hoping that the AYL-4 ships from Array Solutions soon!

Cheers,

Peter,
W2IRT