Topband: Radial length

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Radial length
From: Peter Dougherty <w2irt@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 17:17:03 -0500
Hi all,

My L goes up tomorrow (hopefully!), followed shortly by my radial
"field." Other than putting my chiropractor on speed-dial, this
afternoon I bought a 500' roll of #14 THHN at Home Despot.

When I start unspooling it, I'm guessing that a few 1/4 wavelengths
and a few at 1/8 w.l. should be my target, in addition to the ones
that are a lot shorter out of necessity (buildings/driveway in the way).

These will all be on top of bare earth earth (or slightly under), not
on a grassy lawn, and I suspect I'll wind up covering them over with
topsoil to prevent damage  when I rake up next spring and fall, since
this is an unused space littered with pines -- i.e. nothing grows
under there. Since I won't be going with elevated/tuned radials, is
there a magic length or formula I should be looking at in this case
or just cut 'em all to 64' 3" and a few 128' 6"?

Cheers,

Peter,
W2IRT