Re: Topband: DX Engineering 4 Sq.

To: "'Merle Bone'" <merlebone@charter.net>, <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: DX Engineering 4 Sq.
From: "W0MU Mike Fatchett" <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 17:10:50 -0700
Merle,

Great questions.

I have not really tested the actual front to back of the array.  I did not
have time.  You can adjust it in the field.

The manuals for all the 4sq equipment is available at www.dxengineering.com
.  I selected 70 foot sides as that was recommended in the manual.  It is a
comprimise for 160 and 80 with 40 thrown in.  The results on 40m here in
Colorado have been mixed.  It is nice to be able to switch to a different
direction and wipe out qrm so there is a decent amount of F/B.  The optimal
side length for 160m is 135 ft.

I am using the active elements both here and Montana.  The newer version
swtiches off the elements when not in use and if you use a sequencer you can
install the array within 1/10 wavelength of your transmit antennas if they
are a unity gain antenna.  For a 6db gain antenna on 160m you would need to
locate the array 220 ft away.  Mine is located over 300 ft away and I do not
use the sequencer.

I believe there are some charts on performance in the manuals but I don't
have them handy to look at.

My shortened 160 vertical lasted all of 3 days in the air before one of our
horses or donkey decided that the guy line was in their way and down it came
in a bent mess :(.  The signal to noise ratio of the array is far superior
to the vertical.  I hope to put up an inverted L in the next few days so I
might have more observations soon.

The array made it possible to work a number a stations on 80 and 160 that
would never had heard with the vertical or the inv V for 80.

I hope this helps out.  I would be happy to answer any other questions.

Mike W0MU

  _____