Re: [CQ-Contest] Is it time to move Field Day earlier in the year?

To: Jeff Clarke <ku8e@ku8e.com>, "CQ-Contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Is it time to move Field Day earlier in the year?
From: "Joseph B. Fitzgerald" <jfitzgerald@alum.wpi.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2024 21:41:08 +0000

>The local club - The Columbus Amateur Radio Club, W4CVY,  treats K4BAI
>and I like royalty since we are usually the only CW operators every
>year.

My non-ham Dad still loves to tell the story of the year (2003?) he and I
happened to be in Columbus on Field Day weekend to help my brother get his new
house ready as the Army was transferring him to Fort Benning.     We had
stopped at the Walmart to get painting supplies for the house, and I spotted
the FD antennas and trailers at the far end of the parking lot.    "Joe
introduced himself with his call sign, and they treated him like a long lost
brother!"  he says and goes on to talk about sitting for lunch with Jeff and
John while I worked a few folks on 40M CW.    It is a great memory for both of
us!

There is something "wrong" with any weekend for Field Day.   No bugs during
Winter Field Day here in New England, but my fingers get a little cold on the
paddles sometimes, and one year we had to cancel entirely as the site was
buried in snow and the plow guy was not contracted to work on weekends.
Consider doing a POTA/SOTA operation instead on a day convenient for you that
suits the local climate instead.

de KM1P Joe