Re: [CQ-Contest] Spotting AD Nauseum

To: CQ Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Spotting AD Nauseum
From: Dave Lawley <g4buo@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 01:52:09 +0000
> On the other hand after watching N5TJ operate from home and win the
> world from NA, Im more certain than even than
> none of the top operators would do better with packet, since running
> real SO2R is all about rithym, 2nd radio qso points
> and a complete sync between rate/mults and strategy.  Packet
> definitively breaks that balance.
>
> Felipe
> NP4Z

I, too, have watched N5TJ operate together with K1TO and it was a
highlight of my contesting career to be the on-site referee when those
two won WRTC in 2002.

Take any top-notch SO2R contester. Yes, rate and rhythm are vital. But
consider this. On the second radio, in your normal rhythm, you come
across someone running a pileup but not signing his call. Packet
assistance would allow you straight away to determine whether you needed
the guy or had already worked.

That's just one example but I think there are lots of ways in which
packet could enhance the score of even a top contester. By merging
assisted an unassisted categories you would take away choice and force
everyone who wanted to compete, to use packet.

Dave G4BUO