[Skimmertalk] Red Pitaya using separate antenna inputs

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Wed Feb 8 23:52:48 EST 2023

Jeff,

You have to edit the start.sh on the RP to indicate the antenna port needed
for each slice.  The slice frequency is defined in sequence by SkimSrv, not
the RP.

Use PuTTY <https://putty.org>to open an SSH connection to the RP's IP
address.  You can try using a hostname like RP-F050EB.local or
SDR-F07CDA.local instead of the numeric IP address if you don't have it
handy.  Hostnames can be displayed by your Router.

Once connected to the Linux command prompt, enter these commands.  Note
that press [tab] will auto-complete partial file and directory names:

cd apps/sdr_receiver_hpsdr_122_88
rw (makes file system writeable)
nano start.sh (opens full screen editor, so you can make changes)

Locate the last two lines in the file.  Do not change anything but the
numbers at the end.  The numbers indicate the port number of each slice for
both receivers, in order.  By default, all slices assigned to Port 1 in
both receivers:

$apps_dir/sdr_receiver_hpsdr_122_88/sdr-receiver-hpsdr eth0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
&
$apps_dir/sdr_receiver_hpsdr_122_88/sdr-receiver-hpsdr mvl0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
&

Change the "1" to a "2" for any receiver slices that you want assigned to
antenna port 2.  Each receiver has a maximum of 8 slices (you may not be
using all of them).  You may mix and match 1 and 2 on both lines.

Press Ctrl-X to exit, then Y to save your changes and finally press [Enter]
to use the same file name (start.sh).

cp -p start.sh /media/mmcblk0p1/  (copies the updated start.sh file to the
root folder so that a power cycle of the RP will use the new antenna
assignments).

ro (makes file system read only)

Terminate all instances of SkimSrv running on the Windows PC (otherwise
they will crash).

Back to the RP:

./stop.sh  (stops the current SDR program)
./start.sh (restarts the new SDR program)

Restart SkimSrv

exit (closes the SSH connection)

No power cycle of the RP is required, but it would be a good way to confirm
that the start.sh in the root folder with the new antenna ports is correct.