[Skimmertalk] Red Pitaya 122-16 overload levels in CW Skimmer duty

Jeff Blaine KeepWalking188 at ac0c.com
Wed Jun 15 22:39:11 EDT 2022

73/jeff/ac0c
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie
www.ac0c.com

For those who have the capability to measure, I'm curious as to what
signal levels with the RP resulted in false spots with CW skimmer server.

I've run the QS1R for years and found the overload level to be around
the +6 dBm level.  As long as peak signal levels were below that, I had
virtually zero false spots (here, I mean as an example, the low SNR 10m
spot at the 2x harmonic frequency of 20m actual frequencies).

The same antenna configuration feeding a pair of RP 122-16 look like
they are exhibiting overload conditions well under -40 dBm; perhaps as
low as -50 dBm.

Initial testing of the RP vs. QS1R showed the RP to be a few dB more
sensitive than the QS1R.  However, given similar hardware typologies,
I'm stunned at the apparently low level signals required to cause the
harmonic phantom spots.

Wanted to see if some of you other RP ops had conducted any measurements
on your unit, and what your experience has been.

73/jeff/ac0c
www.ac0c.com

73/jeff/ac0c
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie