[Skimmertalk] WSJT-X skimming load balancing

W3OA w3oa at roadrunner.com
Wed May 6 09:37:50 EDT 2020

Hi Guys -

As far as I know Any is correct regarding "time-scheduling" and skimming
FT4/8.

73 - Dick, W3OA

ForwardedMessage.eml

Re: [Skimmertalk] WSJT-X skimming load balancing?
From:
"Ted Gisske" <gisske at offex.com>
Date:
5/5/2020, 11:16 AM

To:
"'Andy KU7T'" <ku7t at ku7t.org>, <skimmertalk at contesting.com>

Andy,

I don’t think time-scheduling works if you are trying to skim FT8/4.
W3OA or N4ZR are likely better resources than me on that.

You will find that there is a bit of a dance involved to get the RP-16
started up. I’ve found, although not exhaustively tested, that starting
both instances of SkimServ clean, with no other associated programs
(Aggregator, FT#Startup, CWReporter) running seems to work best.

My version of the “Skimmer Server Polka” is:

1.Start the first SkimServ instance on one computer.

2.Dawdle for a couple or three minutes before doing anything else.

3.Start the second SkimServ instance on the other computer. If either
instance errors out, shut down both instances and dawdle for a few
minutes more before re-trying. Return to step 1.

4.Verify that both instances of Skimmer Server are seeing decodes.

5.There aren’t any additional dawdles necessary. Fire up both instances
of Aggregator.

a.In my installation, Aggregator invokes FT#Startup in autorun mode as
well as CWReporter.

b.I had to assure Windows 10 that FT#Startup wasn’t evil. It spawns a
lot of instances of the same program (WSJT-X), which can be construed as
suspicious activity.

If anyone has a simpler dance than the above, please chime in.

I am skimming CW and FT8 on 10-12-15-17-20-30-40-80, as well as FT4 on
20-40 on one computer. I am skimming CW and FT8 on 6-60-160, as well as
WSPR and JT9 on 630M on the other computer. Both boxes are I7 machines,
although I think that I5 boxes would work with some band/mode refactoring.

73,

Ted

K9IMM