[Skimmertalk] Number in suffix

N4ZR n4zr at comcast.net
Mon May 13 16:30:54 EDT 2019

I agree with a couple of your points - and disagree with some others.
First, it is true that a pattern's not appearing on the list does make
for more stringent repetition requirements before a string of characters
is recognized as a callsign. IIRC, the difference is between 4 and 2
repetitions - while 4 repetitions is probably more than usual, it
certainly is not impossible, if the objective is to be spotted by
Skimmer Server.  Moreover, this is not 4 repetitions in a single CQ
call, but 4 repetitions within 256 characters in a single 50-Hz decoder
channel.

You might be interested in the callsign's registration.  While the
Google translation is less than great, and a few points of ambiguity
remain, take a look at
<https://www.tele.soumu.go.jp/musen/SearchServlet?pageID=4&IT=E&DFCD=0000445890&DD=1&styleNumber=50>.
It appears that 8N3G20 is limited to no more than 50 watts and only one
frequency per HF band, except for 80 meters.  Many of the specified
frequencies are in phone sub-bands.

There's certainly no reason why individual node-ops couldn't update
their pattern files, but I am personally leery of setting the precedent
of modifying the patt3ch.lst file to cover any and all special event
calls.  There are a lot of them being issued, used briefly and then
shelved every year, and the impact on the accuracy of decoding of real
calls could be serious if we included them all. In the JA case alone,
there are 5 special calls currently active, along with 9 EA special
calls, and heaven knows how many others.  How do we pick and choose?

With regard to my typo, you are right on one count - it *is* 3N, not 3G,
but the last character is definitely a zero, from the official
government licensing document. Moreover, 8N324A is not covered by the
pattern 8N3@@@, because the @ denotes an alphabetic character. The
pattern for that call would have to be 8N3##@.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network