[Skimmertalk] Skimmer Server Spots

Roger Parsons ve3zi at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 7 10:32:48 EST 2019

I have been playing with two setups of Skimmer Server - one using an FDM-DUO, and the other an RSP1A. Both on the same PC, but not simultaneously. At this point I am only using 160m, and have been testing at 10kHz intervals between 1810kHz and 1850kHz.

The FDM-DUO one works perfectly, but it's rather a waste of a nice transceiver..

The RSP1A one gives incorrect frequencies for the spots:
If I have Skimmerserver set to 192k the spots are all exactly 8kHz high;
If I have it set to 96k the spots are offset high, and instead of being over a 40kHz range they are compressed over a 20kHz range;
If I have it set to 48k the spots are offset high, and instead of being over a 40kHz range they are compressed over a 10kHz range.

Changing the centre frequency changes the offset, but not the spot range, and I haven't found a centre frequency that makes the spot frequencies display correctly. Note that the problem is NOT the frequency adjustment in the .ini file as that would change the range.

When I run the RSP1A into SDR-UNO the frequencies are exactly correct.

(I did have a problem where the PC was putting spurs into the RSP1A which was due to a ground loop. An RF isolating transformer fixed that.)

There was an earlier thread about the server .ini file location. At one point I ended up with .ini file in the correct location, but also one in the program folder - I have no idea how or why that happened. The important thing is that the program folder one was the one used and changing the other one had no effect. 'Twas irritating for a while....

But would much appreciate some help on my RSP1A/Skimmer Server problem.

73 Roger
VE3ZI